There were a few good surprises:
- The eagerness of all to engage in creating together
- The happiness that prevailed around the table - there were some meditative silences, but mostly happiness and laughter as people readily made fun of themselves (first time sewing, taking short cuts with glue instead of needle and thread...)
- The unpredicted suggestion 20 minutes into the creative act that the piece should be submitted to the National Contemporary Art Award - it will be as a social integration piece!
- The readiness to share the stories about the interpretation of each piece as representing togetherness
- The outpour of positive emotions at the end of the evening
- The determination of some to carry on their piece after the evening is over - because they wanted it more intricate than time permitted to finish
- The ideas that some wanted to put into practice next time we meet to create together!
Here is the start of the tapestry:
Short video of the participants' description and interpretation of their creations:
To be followed...